Buzz Kill: What Business Words Do You Love to Hate (and use)?

This post about the worst business buzz words used in 2010 is a great exclamation point to my recent post on writing press releases in which I advised to be vigilant against using cliches and "fluff" words that don't really mean anything.  Not surprisingly,  I regularly see and think about using the words that topped the list in meetings, releases, pitches, marketing copy and proposals.  I admit it. I love cliches. They're fun and so unbelievably on mark.  And in some cases, some of the overused buzzwords on this list, like synergy, are perfectly called for.  Some  personal yawners I work hard to not to overuse or use at all: innovative, synergy,  "hot" as in "season's hottest," strategic, "out of the box," and love as in "would love to."

Imagine if you're a reporter working with and reading words for a living? Do you want to be the rote pitch that crosses their desks? Break away from the expected. What buzz words are you tired of reading or try not to use?

Photo: The Risesmart Blog 

No comments:

Post a Comment